Choose one of our special categories to view or subscribe
Health Tip: Prevent Poisoning at Home
(HealthDay News) -- Some 3 million people -- many under age 5 -- swallow or consume a poisonous substance each year, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
Common sources include medicines, cleaning products, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, pesticides, furniture polish, gasoline, kerosene and lamp oil.
The academy advises on how to reduce the risks of poisoning at your home:
- Store poisonous products in their original packaging in locked cabinets, out of sight and reach of children.
- Keep all medicines in containers with safety caps and keep out of reach of children. Discard unused medication.
- Never refer to medicine as "candy."
- Check the label each time you give a child medicine to ensure proper dosage. For liquid medicine, use the dosing device that came with the product.
- If you use e-cigarettes, keep liquid nicotine refills locked up out of children's reach. Buy only refills with child-resistant packaging.
- Never keep poisonous products in food or drink containers.
- Keep these products away from children: remote controls, key fobs, greeting cards and musical children's books. These devices may contain small button-cell batteries that are dangerous if swallowed.
- Remove plants in your home or yard that are poisonous.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.