Family-friendly Chicken Quesadillas
Last updated: Jul 28, 2015
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
This tasty snack will please the whole family with healthy, zesty Mexican flavors.
- 2 cups chopped cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast (tip: use rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled, roasted or stewed chicken)
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped jalapeño pepper
- 12 (6-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Assemble the rest of the ingredients and encourage each family member to make their own quesadilla with their favorite ingredients. Ask your kids for additional vegetable ideas ahead of time, and encourage them to choose at least two different vegetables.
- Spread ingredients evenly on one whole wheat tortilla. Top with a second tortilla.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through, approximately 10-15 minutes.
|Serving Size 1 item|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10g|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
A good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.