Fruity Whole Grain Muffins
Make these muffins ahead of time and freeze, wrapped individually for a quick snack. Add more nutrition by toasting muffins split in half and topping each half with your favorite nut butter.
- 1 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in water, drained
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 large Granny Smith, peeled and grated
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray 16 standard-size muffin cups with non-stick spray or line them with cupcake liners.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the carrots, apple, raisins, coconut, and nuts and stir to combine.
- Place the eggs, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk to combine well. Add the egg mixture and the pineapple to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them almost to the top.
- Bake the muffins until they are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean, for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Place the muffin pan on a wire rack and let the muffins cool for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan to finish cooling.
|Serving Size 1 muffin|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 12g|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|