Make-Ahead Egg Muffins
No time for breakfast? Make breakfast ahead of time with these delicious and good-for-you egg muffins. When they’re cooked and cooled, place in a resealable bag and store in the fridge. Reheat 20-30 seconds in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
Choose from any of the following add-ins:
- diced tomatoes (drain the juice)
- diced red bell peppers
- diced green peppers
- diced mushrooms
- diced winter squash like butternut, acorn, or delicate
- diced celery
- goat cheese crumbled
- shredded mozzarella
- crumbled feta cheese
- shredded Swiss cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
Nutrition information is given for muffins using green peppers, mushrooms, acorn squash, celery and Swiss cheese).
- 1 dozen eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 6 cups in a standard size, nonstick muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk the eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil in a non-stick skillet until soft and translucent.
- Add 1 cup of any combination of your favorite vegetables and sauté until softened.
- Divide the vegetables between the 6 muffin cups.
- Divide ¼ cup cheese, if desired, between the 6 muffin cups, placing on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cheese in the muffin cups. The top of the ingredients should be no higher than ¼” below the top of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean Remove from oven.
- Use a knife to go around the edges and pop out the egg cups.
|Serving Size 1 muffin|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 12g|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|