The pediatric cardiology service at Summit Medical Group treats infants, children and teens who have a range of cardiac conditions—or the potential to develop them.
We diagnose and treat heart problems in children from infants through teens. Our board-certified specialist synthesizes and coordinates care for all pediatric patients into one fully integrated and comprehensive program that includes care of children with high-risk heart conditions, both congenital and acquired.
Staffed by a medial pediatric specialist in heart care, we perform advanced cardiac imaging in our office, often eliminating the need to travel to a hospital for testing.
We are a dedicated pediatric cardiology team that understands the needs of children of all ages and their families. Our approach is holistic: we provide not only medical expertise but emotional support for children who may be experiencing chronic and acute cardiac conditions.
We also work with primary care doctors to ensure that children are appropriately screened and cleared for sports activities so they can be healthy and stay healthy on the playing field.
A partial list of the conditions we treat includes:
- Acquired heart disease
- Congenital heart disease
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Fainting (syncope)
- Inherited disorders, including hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Syndromes such as Marfan Syndrome and Long QT Syndrome
- Evaluation of atypical cardiac findings such as heart murmurs and hypertension
- Lipid disorders (abnormalities of cholesterol metabolism)
Our dedicated team provides wraparound care that extends beyond the office and to the hospital. We coordinate care for children who are hospitalized and closely monitor them once they are home again.
Fetal Heart Care at SMG
Early detection of heart defects is essential to good outcomes later in life. Using cutting-edge fetal echocardiography we diagnose heart problems starting at 16 gestational weeks in order to detect possible heart malformations. If our fetal heart expert finds structural abnormalities, he monitors the pregnancy and works alongside obstetricians to help ensure that high-risk pregnancies have the best possible outcomes. If immediate postnatal intervention is called for, our pediatric cardiac specialist coordinates with internationally recognized congenital cardiothoracic surgeons, as well as experts in neonatal cardiac care, so that every child and mother receives the highest-level of medical attention.
Our fetal care services start continue through postnatal care if and when medical intervention is necessary.
We provide comprehensive screenings for pregnant women who may be at higher than usual risk for having a child with a heart condition. These include women who:
- Have first-degree relative (or partner’s relative) who was born with congenital heart disease.
- Take certain prescription drugs known to put a fetus at risk for heart abnormalities
- Have diabetes
- Have been exposed to rubella or other illnesses that can cause heart problems
- Are over 35 years of age
- Have high blood pressure
- Are having a child by IVF
- Have an atypical or inconclusive screening of cardiac anatomy and function
We work with women’s obstetricians and primary care doctors if they suspect fetal abnormalities that indicate a higher than usual risk for abnormal cardiac development.
- Non-cardiac congenital abnormalities
- Cardiovascular complications that may arise with twin pregnancies
- Detected problems with fetal heartbeat (arrhythmias)
- Concerns regarding proper development of the heart anatomy or function.
- While every expectant mother worries about her child, women whose children are at high-risk for heart problems need extra-supportive care. Our doctors approach each patient with sensitivity and provides expert medical treatment.
Why Choose Summit Medical Group for Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Care?
We are a clinically integrated team of children’s heart and lung experts. We combine the expertise of an academic medical center with a family-centered approach in an intimate setting—a service unique to the region.
The benefit to you and your child?
- Personalized and individualized treatment by specialists who are highly-respected in their field
- Multidisciplinary care for even the most complex conditions of the heart and lungs
- Conveniently-located settings right in your community
Summit Medical Group’s Pediatric Cardiology services are located at:
NJ Pediatric Cardiology at SMG
47 Maple Street