If you must be admitted to a hospital for any reason, your medical team may enlist the services of a hospitalist doctor. While you are hospitalized, hospitalists work with your physicians to coordinate and improve the efficiency of your care and decrease the amount of time you stay in the hospital.
A Summit Medical Group hospitalist is a medical doctor (MD) or doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) who has board certification in internal medicine. Providing valuable assistance for patients who are admitted to the emergency department, critical care unit, or hospital, a hospitalist physician is available 24 hours a day and communicates frequently with all physicians on your team. Hospitalists are familiar with all aspects of the hospital and its staff and can answer questions and address your or your family’s concerns.
Summit Medical Group employs full-time hospitalist physicians to coordinate care for Summit Medical Group patients and:
- Examine you
- Discuss your needs with your primary care physician
- Coordinate all examinations, tests, and treatments
- Share information about your condition with you and your primary care physician
- Send your primary care physician a summary of your hospital records and medications
- Arrange your follow-up care after you leave the hospital
- Prescribe the medicines you need when you leave the hospital